Written advocacy is one way to elevate your voice. This Valentine’s Day, the Cannabis Patient Advocacy Association would like to help you Send a Love Note to your Legislator!
Actionable Items for Effective Advocacy:
- Know Your Audience
- Just the Facts
- Ask Clearly
Know Your Audience
Just the Facts
- the listener
- their current position
- their past positions
- educational needs
- Lead with facts
- Get to the point
- Be brief
- Provide support such as data, studies, etc
- Manage emotions
- State your ASK
- Make it clear
- Make it reasonable in light of opposition
- Be patiently persistent
Letter to a Legislator: SAMPLE
(Month) (Day) (Year)
The Honorable (First name) (Last name)
RE: (topic/bill number)
Dear (Delegate/Senator) (Last name):
My name is (your first and last name). I reside in District ____.
- State why you support or oppose the topic/bill.
- Choose up to three of the strongest points that support your position and state them clearly.
- Include a personal story.
- Tell your representative why the issue is important to you and how it affects you, your family member or community.
- Tell your representative how you want them to vote on this issue or the specific action you want them to take. Ask for a response.
FIRST NAME, LAST NAME
City, State, Zip code*
*include your zip code to ensure they know the legislative district where you live